Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Set up, operate, or tend machines to saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
- Examine completed workpieces for defects, such as chipped edges or marred surfaces and sort defective pieces according to types of flaws.
- Measure completed workpieces to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
- Set stops on machine beds, change dies, and adjust components, such as rams or power presses, when making multiple or successive passes.
- Start machines, monitor their operations, and record operational data.
- Set up, operate, or tend machines to saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
Entry Level Earnings: $11.00 and up
Median Hourly Earnings: $16.00 and up
Experienced Earnings: $18.76
Typical Entry Level Education: High school diploma
Average Monthly Hires (2018): 704
Applied Mathematics: 3
Reading for Information: 3
Locating Information: 3
Learn more about WorkKeys
QuarkXPress Design Software
Brake (Sheet Metal Bending)