Research, design, develop, test, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use.
- Prepare technical drawings, specifications of electrical systems, or topographical maps to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering or design software or equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Confer with engineers, customers, or others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects or products.
- Direct or coordinate manufacturing, construction, installation, maintenance, support, documentation, or testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, or customer requirements.
- Design, implement, maintain, or improve electrical instruments, equipment, facilities, components, products, or systems for commercial, industrial, or domestic purposes.
- Prepare specifications for purchases of materials or equipment.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, or installation standards or specifications.
- Investigate customer or public complaints, determine nature and extent of problem, and recommend remedial measures.
- Oversee project production efforts to assure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Plan or implement research methodology or procedures to apply principles of electrical theory to engineering projects.
Entry Level Earnings: $25.31
Median Hourly Earnings: $38.51
Experienced Earnings: $46.98
Typical Entry Level Education: Bachelor's degree
Average Monthly Hires (2017): 178
Applied Mathematics: 6
Reading for Information: 5
Locating Information: 5
Learn more about WorkKeys
Programmable Logic Controllers
Engineering Design Process