Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic SOC: 51-4021
Set up, operate, or tend machines to extrude or draw thermoplastic or metal materials into tubes, rods, hoses, wire, bars, or structural shapes.
- Measure and examine extruded products to locate defects and to check for conformance to specifications, adjusting controls as necessary to alter products.
- Determine setup procedures and select machine dies and parts, according to specifications.
- Install dies, machine screws, and sizing rings on machines that extrude thermoplastic or metal materials.
- Change dies on extruding machines according to production line changes.
- Start machines and set controls to regulate vacuum, air pressure, sizing rings, and temperature, and to synchronize speed of extrusion.
- Replace worn dies when products vary from specifications.
- Reel extruded products into rolls of specified lengths and weights.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and make minor repairs to equipment.
- Clean work areas.
- Adjust controls to draw or press metal into specified shapes and diameters.
Entry Level Earnings: $14.00 and up
Median Hourly Earnings: $18.00 and up
Experienced Earnings: $20.75
Typical Entry Level Education: High school diploma
Average Monthly Hires (2018): 278
Applied Mathematics: 3
Reading for Information: 3
Locating Information: 4
Learn more about WorkKeys
Packaging And Labeling