Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Set up, operate, or tend machines to extrude or draw thermoplastic or metal materials into tubes, rods, hoses, wire, bars, or structural shapes.
- Measure and examine extruded products to locate defects and to check for conformance to specifications, adjusting controls as necessary to alter products.
- Determine setup procedures and select machine dies and parts, according to specifications.
- Install dies, machine screws, and sizing rings on machines that extrude thermoplastic or metal materials.
- Change dies on extruding machines according to production line changes.
- Start machines and set controls to regulate vacuum, air pressure, sizing rings, and temperature, and to synchronize speed of extrusion.
- Replace worn dies when products vary from specifications.
- Reel extruded products into rolls of specified lengths and weights.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and make minor repairs to equipment.
- Clean work areas.
- Adjust controls to draw or press metal into specified shapes and diameters.
Entry Level Earnings: $11.50 and up
Median Hourly Earnings: $16.00 and up
Experienced Earnings: $19.40
Typical Entry Level Education: High school diploma
Average Monthly Hires (2017): 214
Applied Mathematics: 3
Reading for Information: 3
Locating Information: 4
Learn more about WorkKeys
Packaging And Labeling