Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
- Develop detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies, tools, and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
- Lay out and draw schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
- Coordinate with and consult other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems.
- Check dimensions of materials to be used and assign numbers to the materials.
- Review and analyze specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
- Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Compute mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment.
- Position instructions and comments onto drawings.
- Lay out, draw, and reproduce illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Design scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
Entry Level Earnings: $16.27
Median Hourly Earnings: $25.21
Experienced Earnings: $29.28
Typical Entry Level Education: Associate's degree
Average Monthly Hires (2018): 94
Applied Mathematics: 5
Reading for Information: 5
Locating Information: 5
Learn more about WorkKeys