Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment such as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems.
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, or computer-generated reports.
- Assist drafters in developing the structural design of products using drafting tools or computer-assisted design (CAD) or drafting equipment and software.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles.
- Confer with engineers or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information.
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Conduct research that tests or analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, or performance of equipment, components, or systems.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to maintenance crew.
- Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification.
- Develop, coordinate, or monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, or operation of product designs.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
Entry Level Earnings: $25.08
Median Hourly Earnings: $35.99
Experienced Earnings: $44.55
Typical Entry Level Education: Bachelor's degree
Average Monthly Hires (2018): 481
Applied Mathematics: 7
Reading for Information: 6
Locating Information: 6
Learn more about WorkKeys