Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Set up, operate, or tend metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
- Observe continuous operation of automatic machines to ensure that products meet specifications and to detect jams or malfunctions, making adjustments as necessary.
- Measure and visually inspect products for surface and dimension defects to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Set up, operate, or tend metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
- Position and secure workpieces on machines, and start feeding mechanisms.
- Turn valves and dials of machines to regulate pressure, temperature, and speed and feed rates, and to set cycle times.
- Remove finished or cured products from dies or molds, using hand tools, air hoses, and other equipment, stamping identifying information on products when necessary.
- Skim or pour dross, slag, or impurities from molten metal, using ladles, rakes, hoes, spatulas, or spoons.
- Trim excess material from parts, using knives, and grind scrap plastic into powder for reuse.
- Cool products after processing to prevent distortion.
- Install dies onto machines or presses and coat dies with parting agents, according to work order specifications.
Entry Level Earnings: $10.50 and up
Median Hourly Earnings: $15.00 and up
Experienced Earnings: $18.61
Typical Entry Level Education: High school diploma
Average Monthly Hires (2018): 623
Applied Mathematics: 3
Reading for Information: 4
Locating Information: 4
Learn more about WorkKeys
Packaging and Labeling