Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Set up, operate, or tend more than one type of cutting or forming machine tool or robot.
- Observe machine operation to detect workpiece defects or machine malfunctions, adjusting machines as necessary.
- Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, cutters, shears, borers, millers, grinders, presses, drills, and auxiliary machines, to make metallic and plastic workpieces.
- Inspect workpieces for defects, and measure workpieces to determine accuracy of machine operation, using rules, templates, or other measuring instruments.
- Read blueprints or job orders to determine product specifications and tooling instructions and to plan operational sequences.
- Start machines and turn handwheels or valves to engage feeding, cooling, and lubricating mechanisms.
- Select, install, and adjust alignment of drills, cutters, dies, guides, and holding devices, using templates, measuring instruments, and hand tools.
- Move controls or mount gears, cams, or templates in machines to set feed rates and cutting speeds, depths, and angles.
- Position, adjust, and secure stock material or workpieces against stops, on arbors, or in chucks, fixtures, or automatic feeding mechanisms, manually or using hoists.
- Set machine stops or guides to specified lengths as indicated by scales, rules, or templates.
- Perform minor machine maintenance, such as oiling or cleaning machines, dies, or workpieces, or adding coolant to machine reservoirs.
Salary & Education
Entry Level Earnings: $12.00 and up
Median Hourly Earnings: $18.00 and up
Experienced Earnings: $19.56
Typical Entry Level Education: High school diploma
2017 Jobs 13,787
2022 Jobs 13,778Average Annual Openings: 1,551 per year
Average Monthly Hires (2017): 522
WorkKeys Occupational Profile
Applied Mathematics: 3
Reading for Information: 3
Locating Information: 4
Learn more about WorkKeys
QuarkXPress Design Software