Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
Operate or tend machines to prepare industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment. Includes cannery workers who pack food products.
- Sort, grade, weigh, and inspect products, verifying and adjusting product weight or measurement to meet specifications.
- Observe machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged products to standards.
- Monitor the production line, watching for problems such as pile-ups, jams, or glue that isn’t sticking properly.
- Attach identification labels to finished packaged items, or cut stencils and stencil information on containers, such as lot numbers or shipping destinations.
- Stock and sort product for packaging or filling machine operation, and replenish packaging supplies, such as wrapping paper, plastic sheet, boxes, cartons, glue, ink, or labels.
- Package the product in the form in which it will be sent out, for example, filling bags with flour from a chute or spout.
- Inspect and remove defective products and packaging material.
- Start machine by engaging controls.
- Remove finished packaged items from machine and separate rejected items.
- Count and record finished and rejected packaged items.
Entry Level Earnings: $10.00 and up
Median Hourly Earnings: $15.50 and up
Experienced Earnings: $19.03
Typical Entry Level Education: High school diploma
Average Monthly Hires (2017): 1,351
Planning and Logistics
Applied Mathematics: 3
Reading for Information: 3
Locating Information: 4
Learn more about WorkKeys
Packaging and Labeling