Production, Planning, and Expediting Clerks
Coordinate and expedite the flow of work and materials within or between departments of an establishment according to production schedule. Duties include reviewing and distributing production, work, and shipment schedules; conferring with department supervisors to determine progress of work and completion dates; and compiling reports on progress of work, inventory levels, costs, and production problems.
- Distribute production schedules or work orders to departments.
- Review documents, such as production schedules, work orders, or staffing tables, to determine personnel or materials requirements or material priorities.
- Requisition and maintain inventories of materials or supplies necessary to meet production demands.
- Arrange for delivery, assembly, or distribution of supplies or parts to expedite flow of materials and meet production schedules.
- Confer with department supervisors or other personnel to assess progress and discuss needed changes.
- Revise production schedules when required due to design changes, labor or material shortages, backlogs, or other interruptions, collaborating with management, marketing, sales, production, or engineering.
- Confer with establishment personnel, vendors, or customers to coordinate production or shipping activities and to resolve complaints or eliminate delays.
- Examine documents, materials, or products and monitor work processes to assess completeness, accuracy, and conformance to standards and specifications.
- Record production data, including volume produced, consumption of raw materials, or quality control measures.
- Calculate figures, such as required amounts of labor or materials, manufacturing costs, or wages, using pricing schedules, adding machines, calculators, or computers.
Entry Level Earnings: $14.00 and up
Median Hourly Earnings: $22.50 and up
Experienced Earnings: $28.20
Typical Entry Level Education: High school diploma
Average Monthly Hires (2018): 627
Logistics and Planning
Applied Mathematics: 4
Reading for Information: 4
Locating Information: 4
Learn more about WorkKeys
Material Requirements Planning