Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
Purchase machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services necessary for the operation of an establishment. Purchase raw or semi-finished materials for manufacturing.
- Prepare purchase orders, solicit bid proposals, and review requisitions for goods and services.
- Purchase the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price and in correct amounts.
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations.
- Research and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier’s reputation and history.
- Negotiate, renegotiate, and administer contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives.
- Analyze price proposals, financial reports, and other data and information to determine reasonable prices.
- Maintain and review computerized or manual records of items purchased, costs, deliveries, product performance, and inventories.
- Write and review product specifications, maintaining a working technical knowledge of the goods or services to be purchased.
- Formulate policies and procedures for bid proposals and procurement of goods and services.
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes.
Entry Level Earnings: $18.00 and up
Median Hourly Earnings: $29.84
Experienced Earnings: $38.32
Typical Entry Level Education: Bachelor's degree
Average Monthly Hires (2017): 454
Logistics and Planning
Applied Mathematics: 3
Reading for Information: 4
Locating Information: 4
Learn more about WorkKeys
Supply Chain Management
Material Requirements Planning